Fave Fillipino Cravings

4:01 AM

Amidst today's plans and activities, I was craving for this certain Filipino delicacy that I can't seem to buy just from anywhere. Googling it, I found myself time to try making something new - "Palitaw". Hence, I decided to make an appreciation post it and share to the world how good it is (and what you're missing out if you haven't tried it!).

Source from Google Images
This is a famous Filipino flat sweet rice cake dessert that's quite easy to do, considering it's no bake as I couldn't resist myself from doing it myself. Notice from the photo above, Palitaw is usually served with coconut gratings and mascuvado (raw sugar), topped with white sugar and sesame seeds.

How to make Palitaw:
  • Heat the cooking oil in a pan. Add the sesame seeds. Toast until brown. 
  • Combine sugar, coconut flakes and toasted sesame seeds. Set aside. 
  • Combine glutinous rice flour and water until a dough is formed.
  • Take about a tablespoon of the dough and shape it into a ball then flatten the middle of the dough with your thumb.
  • Boil water in a pot. Drop in the dough in boiling water; wait until dough floats. 
  • Remove and set aside. Allow the dough to dry out and cool down. 
  • Roll the dough in coconut mixture. Serve and Enjoy!

The dough that was actually made during the process is the same dough we use in mochi, a Japanese rice cake, and in the black sesame rice ball, a traditional Chinese dessert. See photos below.

Japanese Mochi
Source from Google Images
Note that the outer filling is the rice dough. You mix it with different food colorings as well.

Chinese Black Sesame Rice Ball
Source from Google Images

You can read more about the Chinese rice ball dessert in detail here: 

Personally, Filipino desserts have this standing-out flavor compared to others. I find it sweet yet bland (I don't understand it myself either), but it makes me crave for it sometimes. Aside from Palitaw, I really recommend trying out puto bumbong, a very distinct purple dessert, usually eaten during Christmas season.  

Source from Google Images
This Filipino delicacy is cooked in a very unique steamer. It is usually a metal kettle, shaped with protruding tubes on top of the base to hold the "bumbong".

Check out the recipe here : http://www.pinoyhapagkainan.com/puto-bumbong/

These two top my must-try Filipino desserts. And if you took notice, both are best eaten with muscavado (raw sugar). Yes, I love the muscavado taste! It has this different texture and leaves off a different flavor compared to white and brown sugar. Now that I think of it, maybe I crave for Palitaw and Puto Bumbong just so I can have a taste of muscovado, but, nah, the desserts themselves are really good! It's just that the muscovado enhaces the flavor. *wink wink* 

Of course, there's still lots of Filipino good food out there but this ends my first food post. Good day! :)


You Might Also Like

0 comments

My Puggy Life

My Puggy Life

Werking Fun

Werking Fun

La-View

La-View